The main problem with today's head lice is that they got accustomed to chemical treatments and have developed a resistance to them. This is why it has become so hard to get rid of them.
Lice are insects. Being an insect means that you do not breath with lungs. You breathe through holes under your abdomen. Should your breathing holes be obstructed, you'll suffocate.
So let's get to it without delay:
What you will need:
- coconut oil or olive oil
- neem oil
- lavender essential oil
- a shower cap or a swim cap
- a white (or light coloured) lice comb (it's easier to spot the lice on a white background)
- a hair straightener
- a bowl of water.
- First prepare your oil:
- Measure 10ml of your coconut or olive oil.
- Add another 10ml of neem oil.
- Add 15 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix well.
- Apply the mix over the scalp and extend it to the lengths. cover the head with a shower cap or a swim cap. Leave it on for an hour. The oils will block the breathing organs of the lice and suffocate them.
- With a large comb, detangle the hair first. The oil will help make it easier.
- Now, strand by strand, comb the hair using the lice comb. Make sure to start running the comb straight from the scalp to remove all the head lice. Rinse out the comb in the bowl of water after each movement to avoid putting lice straight back into the hair.
- When you can't see any lice on the scalp, plug in the hair straightener and heat it up to 100 degC. No need to heat it too much, that should be enough to fry the eggs.
- Run the hot plates into the hair. This mechanic process will kill the nits. Please TAKE EXTRA CARE not to burn your child's ears or scalp with the hot plates. If you believe your child is unable to remain sit still, better skip the hot plates step!
Also bear in mind that this is a natural process. It takes time and since you also need to rely on visual inspection, you may miss a couple of lice and a few nits especially in thick, long, dark hair. It is a good idea to keep a close eye to your child's head and do it all over again a few days later.
A New Zealand natural preschool has been using this natural strategy for years and it works like a charm!
We'd love to hear about your experience! Please tell us how it went for you! Leave a comment or feel free to ask a question in the box below. We look forward to your comments and experience.
Share this post if you like it: it may greatly help other people!